My Etsy Shop

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Time to Give my Crafty Head a Shake...

Oh yeaahhh...that's better...now know what I have to do, as opposed to what I want to do, or feel capable of doing...making plans for the New Year...
That's right, folks, party time is over and although I still have my BD (scary stuff!) and New Year's Eve to contend with, I have learned, the hard way, that if I don't make some kind of organizational chart, at least in my head, that I will wind up bouncing off walls (again, in my head) and being broke all the time...
What's that you say? Yes, even pensioners who do craft markets have problems with money...especially here, in the most expensive place in Canada, if not the earth! Vancouver thinks that it holds the record, but groceries cost more here, and housing is still ridiculously expensive too, so aside from the obvious advantages-(it's a beautiful Island!) costs can be magnified when you are suddenly on a fixed income.
Did I plan ahead of time, before arriving here? Yes, for the last three years, to have everything paid off and owe nothing, and have a few thou in the bank...well...
The few thou got eaten up, and then some, by a three-month-long very brutal strike with an intransigent Mayor and Council, who got turfed in the last election by an irate citizenry, but for us the damage was done..I absolutely had to be out of Vancouver before the Olympic hype machine had me foaming at the mouth, so, although I probably should have stayed another year to make up what had been lost, didn't think I could stand it, and here I am...broke, but convinced I did the right thing, for my physical and mental health, and who can judge which is more important?
Naturally, thought I could easily get a good-paying part-time job to supplement my pension...didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't going to happen easily, and running around all summer,all Autumn, trying to get something going with the myriad of craft fairs in the area, just left me broke and frustrated.
But my motto has always been to pick myself up, dust myself off, and then, like an idiot, try again...

New Year's Resolutions? Waste of time...Life keeps throwing those curve balls atcha, and best to have a well-broken-in psychological catcher's mitt handy to save yourself...feeling more optomistic about crafting; after all, already went into debt purchasing the infrastructure for my success in 2010...we are old, but we are crafty...

No comments:

Post a Comment